Monday, December 3, 2012

Cupcakes and Christmas

Ok, here is a little trick I learned from surfing the internet. Take an ordinary strand of Christmas lights, add a cupcake liner... and you have a modern light reflector!
First I found some vintage cupcake liners from a Denver Gypsy Boys Estate sale. These puppies were priced at only 50 cents. And to be honest, I only bought them because I liked the retro packaging. Sometimes you just have to buy things because they call out to you... finding a use for them will always come up eventually! For this project, your cupcake liners don't have to be vintage... but that's just how I roll.
Next, get yourself a standard sting of holiday twinkle lights. I actually bought these rainbow ones at a Gypsy sale last year. I needed the white strands since my faux tree was white. (Faux sounds so much better than fake). It's always a good idea to shop for holiday decor year 'round. It's a great way to save money buying things out of season. Items will always be priced higher if they are being sold near the time of the holiday.
Now the fun part. Just poke the light through the center of the cupcake liner. Do this a few million times and you're done! It just makes the lights look larger, brighter and merrier! 


Now don't judge my tree just yet! I am only getting started. I still have to add my vintage star, and tons of vintage Shiny Brite Christmas bulbs....
This method also works great for lights around the mantel or bannister. 


No comments:

Post a Comment