Monday, October 29, 2012

The Look for Less

How do you get the look for less? Shop at estate sales!

Lately I have been obsessed with Hollywood Regency style home decor. Hollywood Regency is an over the top, eclectic and glamorous design style. This vibe came about in the 1930s when Hollywood set designers started decorating the homes of movie stars with the same drama and theatrics that went into their sets. Think ornate details, laquer surfaces, bold patterns, rich textures, brass and chrome, tassels, faux bamboo, pure whites, and vibrant colors.... all mixed together!

This style is having a resurgence in modern home decor, and it can get expensive. So I opt to find some original vintage pieces... and where better to look than at estate sales. I have found that the Denver Gypsy Boys have a lot of clientele that are clearing out homes filled with bold vintage pieces. In the setting of a neglected and out of date house, these pieces can get lost. But if you have an eye for fabulousness, you can pick out some treasures that will actually look quite modern in your home decor.

My latest find is a iron and glass bar cart. I actually saw one online at 1stdibs.com, and it cost a fortune!

As seen on 1stdipbs.com for 1300.00
From Gypsy Boys Sale - 45.00

















Imagine my excitement when I came across one at a Gypsy Boys sale for 45.00! It has been painted white, but my dining room happens to have a white theme... so I was in luck!











Here are some other wonderful Hollywood Regency finds from Gypsy Boys estate sales..

Bamboo Lamp in my dining room
 Gypsy Boys sale - 8.00
(Shade from Target for 14.99)
Bamboo Lamp - High Street Market - 139.00
As seen on ApartmentTherapy.com


Vanity Bench in my guest room - Gypsy Boys sale - 16.00
Vanity Bench
As seen on Ebay for 75.00






Faux bamboo mirror in my guest room
Originally cream color - 20.00
(I spray painted black)
Faux Bamboo mirror
Ballard Designs 199.00
As you can see.... with a discerning eye, you can find some great designer looks for less! 

1 comment: